Sunday, November 17, 2013

If Only...


November 15.  If only, if only, if only... sometimes, we just have to stop thinking in those terms and be thankful for what we have.  And today, the day I promised to update my blog, it is already 11:45 pm and I have finally gotten the house and everyone in it settled down enough to START doing my blog on the day it was promised.  Let's face it:  I can't possibly get it done in 15 minutes.  So maybe starting counts for something?  I have much that I want to share! 

November 16.  Update #1.  I started to update the blog on November 15.  That passed on into November 16.  I had a lot of obligations interfere with finishing the blog, and I spent a lot of time preparing pictures for the blog.  LOTS of pictures.  It is going to be a very long post.  If only...

November 17.  Update #2.  It is now November 17 and my blog is still not finished.  So far I've put over 8 hours into preparing pictures for the blog.  You are probably thinking that it should not take that long - I mean, lots of people post pictures and they do it in a quick minute, right?  Well, that's lots of people, but not me.  Before I post photos, I adjust the colors, resize them, crop them, put them in order, take out the skewing or keystoning, remove ugly backgrounds if they are distracting, and more.  That all takes only a few minutes a picture... but when I'm dealing with a ton of pictures, it takes a long time.  And now I am thinking that I either need to stop and just post what I have done so far... or just wait until December 1 to do the next update.  After all, December 1 is the weekend of Thanksgiving this year, which means I will again have trouble updating the blog on time.  If only.... 

Let me just post a few teasers. below... and I'll post the next blog update (for December 1) RIGHT BEFORE THANKSGIVING... with TONS of pictures and stories.  That way, you'll have the "whole story" even if it's late.  If I'm lucky, you will just think, "Oh, she posted the December 1 update early!  How great is that?!!"  Please plan for a long weekend so that you have time to see everything!

Don't stop reading... scroll on down!

Happy quilting!
Sue Garman

(c)2013 Susan H. Garman

For starters... Below is a picture of me after the last 6 weeks... doing two 1-week long back-to-back out-of-town workshops in October... right before the quilt show opened in Houston... on top of trying to get my website up and running... while getting a house ready to sell... just as I had to take my 87-year old Dad's car away and become his chauffeur due to health concerns... It all took a toll on me!  No wonder I'm running late!  But notice... I'm still quilting!!!


So... who can answer these questions?
-- Which airport is this?


-- What block is this and where was it made?


-- Do you think this block might change my mind about doing English paper piecing?


-- Do you see these antique quilts?  Did I have fun at the Houston quilt show?  Which quilt grabbed my attention?


-- And take a look at these antique quilts.  Which one of THESE grabbed my attention?  Did one of them hop in my bag and head home with me?


-- What's wrong with this quilt (the blue/tan/brown scrappy quilt on top)? 


-- Why are there so many letters on this quilt?


-- What is the relationship between the quilt on this bed and Samuel Redgate (the last surviving Texas colonist in Stephen F. Austin's 300 colonists)?



Okay... can you answer these questions?  If you can, you're a genius!!!  I'm sorry, there isn't a prize in store for the person who actually could answer the questions.  Sigh...  if only...!

9 comments:

  1. Uh, if only I knew the answers. Love the quilts, especially the blocks you are working on. I sure didn't recognize you. Have you lost a little weight are done something with you hair? Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, you're looking a bit boney there, I think you should eat a bit more :)

    I'm picking at least one of those antique quilts came home with you, maybe the red and green applique one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly have your hands full. The peek was very nice indeed. Beautiful quilts. Take care of yourself and I am looking forward to your next post!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those 2 quilts in Jane's booth, l also considered buying, and ended up choosing others. So did they come home with you????
    l am also thinking perhaps the princess feather quilt came home with you. Wish l had had the chance to meet you at Houston!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, I love your blogs, but family and your health come first, so we'll wait (maybe not completely patiently, but still ...) until you have time and mind share. That red and green princess feather quilt is certainly pretty! And I know what the TQS letters are on. It was good to meet you, even if only briefly. Take care of yourself! Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, I love your blogs, but family and your health come first, so we'll wait (maybe not completely patiently, but still ...) until you have time and mind share. That red and green princess feather quilt is certainly pretty! And I know what the TQS letters are on. It was good to meet you, even if only briefly. Take care of yourself! Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is exactly why I appreciate you and your blog so much. I know you put a lot of time and thinking in it. Again : thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to say thank you for all your postings however brief! They are all inspiring and you are so wonderful to share with the world. Take a moment (or ten) for yourself and know that anyone who happens on your Blog will be forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have all my sympathies, Sue. I am Dreading the moment when my dad can no longer drive. It's coming...

    I can't answer all the questions, but I would guess that a fussy-cut, EPP project would not change your mind if you don't like EPP now, because fussy-cut EPP is even more fiddly than regular EPP! Say that 3 times fast! But fussy-cutting is where I draw the line.

    Can't wait to read all the answers! (And yes, I massage my photos a lot too, but not so many at once!)

    ReplyDelete