First, finished projects. And, I have to clarify that by "finished" I mean I've finished quilting them, not that I've necessarily put the binding on! Hehe. The first quilt that I finished this month is that red, black, and white quilt that's going into the Lakeview Quilters Guild annual auction in a few weeks. I had so much fun with this one! I picked an edge-to-edge feather pattern, a new one that I had just gotten from Wildflower Quilting's July club called New Bountiful. And, I used variegated black and white thread. I just love how it turned out!
|Corner of the quilt, showing the variegated feathers.|
|Back of the quilt, which is actually black and not grey.|
|Overall view of the quilt.|
I finished a second quilt for the auction just Monday night, after picking it up Monday evening. Talk about a busy night! This one is a really pretty rail fence pattern with bright pastels (if that makes sense) and a buttery background color. I used my very favorite E2E pattern, which I've used several times now, called Spiral Pano 001 by Kimberlee Diamond.
|Close up view of the quilting.|
|Overall view of the quilt. I love it!|
|Close up of Myrtle's Broken Dishes with bubble quilt pattern.|
|Overall view of Myrtle's Broken Dishes.|
|Close up of Toile de Jouy, still on the machine being quilted.|
|Close up of Toile de Jouy.|
|Overall view of Toile de Jouy (kind of). Beautiful!|
|Close up of baby space quilt.|
|Overall view of baby space quilt.|
|My version of Barbara Brackman's Antebellum Album Quilt BOM.|
Next up, stitching on that same quilt of Sheila's, I rolled it and saw a HUGE rats nest of thread on the backside. EEEEKKKK! I'd never had that happen before. Luckily, it was easy to clip out all of the threads from the back since they were so nested up, and I got some good practice in with restitching and matching up the pattern points. From what I can tell, it got toward the end of the bobbin and went crazy on me, so maybe the end wasn't wound properly. At least I was able to correct it before I unloaded it!
|A crazy rats nest on the back of a quilt!|
|Never forget to baste down the sides of your quilts before quilting.|
Last lesson learned for the month (geez, there were a lot of lessons this month!) was on the beautiful baby quilt. The stitches just weren't stitching out smoothly! I wasn't too concerned since it's a baby quilt, but I knew I needed to fix it before I quilted an auction quilt or something that would be in a show. I cleaned the heck out of Carol Ann, oiled her up, changed the needle, played with tension (the pic has really bad tension), played with the canting of the needle... everything I could think of. Eventually, I posted on that Facebook group, which is really a lifesaver for me. I called Statler support and learned how to tighten my belts. Whew! That seems to have fixed the issue, thank goodness. I do think there were also some issues with the white "painted" fabric, and probably those printed space fabrics, too, that could have caused some of the non-smooth stitch lines.
|Non smooth stitch line, and bad stitch tension, all in one shot!|
See y'all next month. Keep on quilting!